Sunday, May 5, 2019

Debriefing Easter

It's been two weeks and I've been watching and listening. Here's what I've picked up about Easter in the real world.

As I've noted, many of my coworkers are churchgoers and some of those people are very sincere about living as followers of Jesus.

Being Easter, many of the people I live with in the world "went to church." And, they also did the sort of family things people do on holidays.

The absolutely overwhelming majority of stories I heard in the days following Easter were about how the meat cooked for Easter turned out, what the desserts were and who brought them and what the kids/grandkids did and the candy and Easter egg hunts and whose house hosted the family Easter gathering.

Easter in America, these days, is about family, not church, most certainly not about Jesus. 

One person I've talked to actually did mention church but only to say that the preacher told the laity what the Hebrew is for, "He is risen," but she couldn't remember how to say it.

From where I hover, here at 40,000 feet, as far as advancing the cause of the Kingdom is concerned, Easter 2019 was a bust.

Normally, when I was a pastor, I'd be upbeat after church on Easter because of the bigger than average crowd, but the truth I see today is that for most people, going to church is part of the daily routine, but with less importance than how the meat tasted...

...that is, if going to church happens at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment