Thursday, May 17, 2018

Open Heart Surgery

About 25 years ago, we had a very good family doctor who, I suspect, always regretted he didn't specialize in cardiology. He was obsessed with the heart and, in every initial exam, he did an EKG which he studied carefully in the patient's presence.

He noticed that something was not right with Evie's heart.

After testing, she was diagnosed as having a bicuspid aortic valve.

In a normal heart, the aortic valve has three "leaflets." In Evie's heart, two of those are fused, her heart doesn't function efficiently and a number of complications develop.

Since she was diagnosed, we've known that she'd eventually need to have surgery.

The condition of the valve has been declining in recent years in a way that was fairly normal for someone of her age.

However, two years ago, there were some red flags. One was the formation of an aneurysm as a result of the malfunction of the valve. This concerned me, apparently, more than it did her.

About two months ago, she had her regularly scheduled echocardiogram and there were more concerns.

Last week was her follow-up to that test and I accompanied her and met her new cardiologist...who looked like a college-age cheerleader. (Yikes! I'm getting old.)

The cardiologist talked with Evie about symptoms she's been experiencing and immediately suggested another echo, the next day if possible, which the doctor would supervise herself.

All the technical stuff aside, the doctor determined that, due to her rapidly deteriorating condition, Evie needs to have open heart surgery to have the valve replaced.

This is a disappointment for a number of reasons. One is that open heart surgery is very traumatic and a new procedure is being developed which would not require open heart surgery to replace this valve but we're not going to be able to wait.

----------------

I know that the Word says, "Do not be anxious in anything but, in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God and the peace of God that transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

Yet, I'm struggling.

We're still emotionally raw from dad's ordeal with dementia.

We're eight years past the cancer trauma and God was faithful in many wonderful ways during that entire walk through the valley of the shadow of death.

But, still, in some way, this feels different.

And, I suspect that Evie's struggling more this time around, too.

----------------

Evie has more testing on the 29th. She's been referred to a very highly respected doctor in Philadelphia who specializes in aortic valve replacements but who has a waiting list.

We're doing our best a day at a time.

4 comments:

  1. Well, damn... Not that I know anything, but I'd say it is quite ok to be anxious. You are human, after all. Glad you shared.

    I'm not a great pray-er, but I will absolutely be praying for you both. Blessings, my friend. (and for some reason I started humming 'trust and obey.' I dunno).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your prayers, Dan.

    Oh, and thanks also for the trust and obey ear worm. "...for there's no other way..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candice ShoemakerMay 31, 2018 at 7:59 AM

    Hi Bill, Just wanted you to know of my concern and prayers for you and Evelyn. I am very sure I would be very anxious if it was me in your situation. So, I will ask Our Father to speak words of peace over you both- with every confidence that you can hear Him- because his voice is familiar to you.

    ReplyDelete