Friday, October 2, 2015

Gathering: 10-1-15

As I indicated in my journal of the last gathering of the Thursday night group, I was concerned over its inability, perhaps unwillingness, to live in community in the way the first disciples did, as is described in Acts 2:42f.

To be fair to that gathering, I know of no CGGC congregation, besides our small community of gatherings, who would even consider taking to heart, "all the believers were together and had everything in common.  Sharing their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need."

I had thought that this small group of people who embrace Francis Chan's challenge, in CRAZY LOVE, to live this way.

However, as of last week, they were daunted.

I did mention last week that I suspected that the issue might have been a matter of understanding the how to, rather than of submission to the example of Scripture.

I mentioned this concern to Evelyn between gatherings.  And, she actually pushed the issue last night.

The conversation was good and encouraging.

Bottom line:  These people are willing to submit and obey, even this very challenging standard of righteousness but are still exploring practical understanding.  Since we know of no one else personally living up to that standard we, once again, feel the need for community beyond ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment