Sunday, September 20, 2015

Gathering: 9-20-15

Our tradition when we gather seems to be to function without the constraint of any established pattern in doing things.

There was a time, when we first permitted ourselves to diverge from Christendom traditions, that we were hyper aware of everything we did and when and how we did it.

It struck me today that we were very much at ease with how our gathering progressed, even though what we did was at odds with what is traditional.

As we started out, I asked for permission to lead the taking of the bread and cup. I also asked if we could reserve one of the songs we had agreed to sing for the time we took the bread and cup. Evelyn suggested we do that first. Her suggestion pleased everyone and so we did that and it felt right, for me anyway, doing it.

The talking of the bread and cup ended up involving a time of interaction and, based on insights offered, I felt led to suggest that we take the cup first, then the bread. Again, that seemed right.

There was a lot of discussion today about how we live lives of righteousness and mercy in specific struggles we are having.

Meal time was a blessing. Much of the conversation was rooted in the story, in the Word, of what happened in the events surrounding the cross.

Bennie clogged the toilet again, bless his heart.

--------------

One note about last week. Evie told me last week that one of the women told her that, on the previous Sunday when we didn't meet, she cried because she wouldn't be able to see Maggie, our dog. I don't call Mags the world's best church greeter for nothing.

I say this to make the point, which I now too often take for granted, that there really is something very special that takes place when God's people gather in the home of one of the gatherers.

Shepherds yearn to nurture community. Yet, my guess is that the community we experience in our group is far more intimate than what anyone who reads this blog experiences. And, as we know, I don't have a shepherdy bone in my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment