Thursday, October 23, 2014

Reflections on the MLI Reunion

If you read the eNewses of September 26 and October 3, you know that past participants in the Missional Leadership Initiative were invited to come together about a month ago, as Ed says it, "to return for a kind of reunion with an agenda."

I don't have many reflections worth mentioning, but I believe some of my insights have value--especially as our body considers how it will move on from the Rosenberry era.

I can detail two realities that I, very personally, think are worth mentioning:

1.  I wasn't invited.

I didn't even know there was a reunion planned until I read Ed's brief mention of it in his article on the recent GC Ad Council meeting.  The following week's eNews was Ed's account of the MLI gathering of Eagles--as a fait accompli. 

I was stunned to realize that it had been planned and held and that I had not gotten even a sniff of it from my brethren and sisters in Findlay.

I wrote a note to a friend whose heart has some passions for the Lord and the world that are similar to mine, who has also completed MLI, asking if, like me, he also wasn't invited.  To my surprise, he told me that he had been invited.  At that point I began to wonder how small the universe of the excluded is.

In his reply, noting that I was not invited, my friend asked, "What's up with that?"

While I have my thoughts, I think that his is a good question.

Before MLI was even a twinkle in GC Leadership's eyes, I was calling for missionality in the CGGC and I was living it and participating in it in my local setting.  Since my two years in MLI ended, I have continued to support the goals of MLI and still, today, live out missionality with a passion that is at least as great as anyone in the CGGC.

So indeed, "What's up with that?"

What could have possessed the people making the decision to exclude me from having the opportunity to share my missional joys and sorrows, my triumphs and failures, in community with my brothers and sisters on mission in the CGGC?

I do have a theory.  But, I do not know.

2.  In spite of my absence, my presence was felt.

A telling passage in Ed's glowing account of the successes of the CGGC missional and of the denomination in general is this:
"Friends, God is alive and moving across the CGGC. Heed not the naysayers."
 Obviously, Ed could not forget that there are those inside the CGGC who reside beyond the borders of his preferred world in which we all just get along and in which the CGGC word is spoken and received in unity and with power.

But, "naysayer-s?"--in the plural?  Who, besides me could Ed mean?  Who, besides me, in the CGGC is actually saying nay?

Certainly, Ed's innovations have been opposed by minorities--sometimes fairly large minorities--but actually speaking nay?  To me, it feels very much as if I am a lone voice crying in the CGGC wilderness.  I know that some agree at least on points that I make.  They tell me so.  But, no one I know of is voicing--i.e., saying--nay.

Now, please understand, while I may be saying nay, I'm not saying what Ed says I'm saying.  I'm not denying, as he says, "God is alive and moving across the CGGC."  To this moment, I neither confirm nor deny that He is.  I've never really talked about that at all and I rarely have thought in those terms.

I can say that what I see around me is churches that are either--with very, very few exceptions--struggling to hold their own or are declining and some of them are declining rapidly.  I acknowledge that there are some exceptional stories of churches doing well--but not nearly enough of them to justify Ed's glorious accounts of growth across our body.

But, I will say now that, according to the standards established by the Bible which is, our "only" "rule," that God is NOT alive and moving across the CGGC.  Certainly, the institution of the CGGC is in better shape than it was when Ed's regime began. 

But, when I read the Word--in both Testaments--I see, as fruit of God's blessing, two things taking place among God's people:

First, they repent.
Second, the turn from their evil ways.

While Ed often reports of his travels to the churches and Regions across the CGGC, I can't recall a single account either of repentance or of conversion under his leadership.

By the standard of the Word, since Ed has raised the issue, I don't think God is alive and moving across the CGGC. 

Clearly, the institution has been undergirded.  But, as far as I can tell, God's work is still not being accomplished.  Hearts are not being moved.  Lives are not changing.

-----------------

So, these are my reflections--in absentia--on the MLI Reunion.  Sorry I missed it.  I, and the people with whom I serve here at Faith, no doubt, could have benefited from an invitation.

But, alas...

4 comments:

  1. Gang,

    The other day I received a note from Lance Finley in which he said these things:

    Hey Bill,

    Read your post...

    First of all, let me apologize... I'm truly sorry you did not get an invitation and therefore missed the MLI Regathering.

    I don't know what happened on our end of things (I no longer handle the email that goes out to MLI participants and "graduates" - so I don't know what happened that would have caused you to get missed in this...)

    I know for a fact that this wasn't an intentional omission. We invited (or were supposed to invite) everyone (including you) who's been through the first 2 rounds.... There's no conspiracy against you here....

    I would have loved to have you join us at the MLI- regathering. I think it would have blessed you and the work going on at Faith.


    --------------------------

    I can say that, despite my issues with Ed's truth-telling, I have only ever known Lance to deal with me honestly and truthfully.

    I believe him.

    Having said that, I do also believe that CGGC leadership has, since 2010, isolated itself from dissent and alternative thinking in alarming ways that are detrimental to the future of the body.

    I have no idea of the mechanics of my name being dropped from the invitation list. But, I do think that the lack of an invitation to me was convenient and that it fits a larger pattern.

    One of my characteristics of the CGGC Brand is "Cynicism." Though I try my best to avoid that cynicism, clearly, I am not free of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . You know I would for you trust Lance. He is a trustworthy brother. Steve Dunn.

      Delete
    2. I do believe and trust Lance and I agree with your assessment of his character. However, I am more cynical about the leadership culture than I wish I were.

      Delete
  2. I was glad to hear Lance responded. I think he is a good guy too, but unfortunately I share your cynicism about the leadership culture in general. I've had a couple people tell me they've tried to contact me through the cggc pastors directory - and that i have no phone number or email. I didn't realize it had been deleted, and that the midwest region phone # is outdated. So I asked to have it updated toward the end of Sept... and it still hasn't been done. I did finally hear from someone in the office (whom I trust) that they would take care of it, but things like this (and your situation) don't help much. I wish I were not so cynical...

    ReplyDelete