Thursday, October 23, 2014

Every day with, uh, bill...

Friends,

I've got a lot going on in my life these days and I don't have as much time as I'd like to do the sort of blogging I've done on this blog in the past in which I write lengthy comments, going through many drafts, often, over a period of weeks or months.  I do continue to work on those threads.

However, lately I've been thinking of adopting the method of my friend Dan Horwedel in his excellent blog, "Every day with dan..." and to make more personal observations often shorter in length and without any thought or care that they might provoke dialog and, certainly, without the intention to respond myself.

So, somewhat in that vein...

-------------------------------

It is our intention at Faith to discontinue the practice of taking an offering.  We hope to do that soon.  My goal personally is that we will do it beginning on January 1, 2015. 

We still have an obligation to our current landlord--to fulfill the financial obligation of our lease.  I hope we can pay it off early.  We do have one or two other small obligations that we will need to meet.  Then, as far as I am concerned, we will no longer funnel money through the church.

I think I can say that we all believe that Jesus taught, or at least endorsed, tithing. (Mt. 23:23)  As for me and my house, we will continue to give.  We simply no longer believe in tithing to a local church.  We see no biblical basis for such a practice.

So, as soon as we can, we will be setting our Church Treasurer free.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you well on the new format, Bill. I think I may be submitting a second comment, so... just wanted to say 'blessings to ya!'

    ReplyDelete