Thursday, November 12, 2015

The ERC Standing Committee/Administrative Council vs. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition is one of the greatest embarrassments in the history of the church.  It was a  spiritual reign of terror that lasted for centuries.

However, since the day I picked up that certified letter from the ERC explaining that my ordination had been recalled, I have been thinking about the similarities and differences between what the ERC did to me and the Roman Catholic Church's reign of terror that was the Inquisition.

And, I say, give me the Inquisition.

Here, very briefly, are seven differences between the Spanish Inquisition and the process employed by ERC Mountaintoppers to recall my ordination.
  1. The Spanish Inquisition was open and public.  The ERC process that ended in the recall of my ordination was kept a secret from me until it was completed.
  2. The goal of the Inquisition was to preserve the purity of Christian truth.  I have a list of the reasons the Standing Committee recommended that my ordination be removed.  Not one of them even remotely touches on issues of doctrine.
  3. In the Inquisition, the accused was provided with counsel.  As far as I know, no one spoke for me at any point in the ERC process.
  4. In the Inquisition, the accused was permitted to be present at his/her trial.  Needless to say, due to the secretive process, I was denied even the opportunity to listen to the charges being level against me.
  5. In the Inquisition, the accused was given ample opportunity to respond to charges leveled against him/her.  As I have said, I honestly believe that I am innocent of every charge that the Standing Committee and Administrative Council convicted me of.  The members of those groups have no idea of my understanding of these issues--by their own choice.
  6. In the Inquisition, even guilty parties were offered the opportunity to repent of fallen and sinful ways.  ERC leaders provided me with no such opportunity.
  7. The goal of the Inquisition was reconciliation: the restoration of the lost soul.  Based on what ERC Mountaintoppers did, their goal was to condemn me and to separate me from the flock.
-------------------

So, give me the Spanish Inquisition.

Can you appreciate in any way from the very darkest moments in church history, what ERC mountaintoppers have done?!  The Spanish Inquisition was a Love Feast by comparison.

When I inspect the fruit CGGC leadership has been producing in recent years, I am stunned and shocked.  The truth is that, on its worst days, the Roman Catholic Church's Popes and Bishops never approached the abuses of power that take place within the CGGC, as is demonstrated in the manner the ERC Standing Committee and Administrative Council have dealt with me. 

The perpetrators of the Inquisition would never, on their most intolerant day, have dreamed of doing what ERC mountaintoppers have done.

More tragically, to the best my knowledge, only one person has actually confronted the mountaintoppers over what they have done in my case, though I have received several private notes of support.

It is now standard operating procedure in the CGGC to allow mountaintoppers to abuse their power and the teachings of the Word without opposition.  Even without comment.

The greatest guilt in the CGGC, in my opinion, is with those of you who allow these abuses to take place.

The CGGC is experiencing decline at an increasing rate.  Who, honestly, can question why.

Who can imagine that the Lord would bless what we have become and what we do.

We must repent.

2 comments:

  1. The post that began this thread is heavy on facts. Because I have knowledge of history, I am aware of the facts.

    Indeed, what the ERC mountaintoppers did in this case compares unfavorably, even to the abuses of power common in the Spanish Inquisition. I have the knowledge of facts that empowers me to know that.

    But, I confess, I don't understand it.

    I was on the staff of the seminary when Dr. Richardson showed up as an ecclesiastical greenhorn. From the first moments I knew him, I understood him to be a gentle, patient, kind and nurturing man. My opinion of him has not changed in the 20 years since I met him--even after he directed the process that resulted in the recall of my ordination.

    I have known one other member of the Standing Committee for nearly 40 years. And, if anything, I know him to outdo Dr. Richardson in gentleness, patience, kindness and nurture.

    I have knowledge of the three other members of the Standing Committee to lesser degrees yet I know each of them well enough to at least strongly suspect that, on their own, they are incapable of participating in an evil that makes the Inquisition seem like child's play.

    Still, together, as a group of five, these men were able to shepherd, direct and carry out a process that exceeds the abuses of the Popes and Bishops running the Inquisition.

    And, I don't understand that.

    It seems to me that there is a dysfunction in the CGGC leadership culture that enables good people to behave in an evil way.

    That dysfunction in the culture is the only way I can explain what these five men were able to do as a group.

    I don't understand it. But, I believe that, as a body, we have to attack this evil.

    Perhaps we should consult a Christian sociologist or anthropologist. I know that one of our people has training in Family Systems Counseling. Perhaps we could start there is addressing dysfunction and evil at the level of culture.

    But, we need to do something before greater evils than this evil, that takes the Inquisition a place it would not go, takes place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say again, as I have said before: Think of me what you will and do to me what you like. But, as a body, we, or you--if that's what you choose, must repent.

    ReplyDelete